Fans of ChiFi and IEMs in general are sure to be familiar with Moondrop products. Well, you may or may not be surprised that Moondrop has joined the dongle DAC market like everyone else. The result? The Moondrop Moonriver 2 dongle DAC/amp (now available on Apos Audio).
Featuring dual Cirrus Logic CS43198 DAC chips, the Moonriver 2 is taking aim at some of the current champs like the xDuoo Link2 Bal and Earmen Sparrow. So what does the Moonriver 2 have to distinguish itself from the competition? Well, it has the latest in DAC chip technology resulting in insanely good measurements and numbers.
Plus it has up to 32bit/384kHz and DSD256 with 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm balanced outputs. Now that may not set it apart from its competitors but what does is its 131dB DNR, 116dB SNR, and 0.0001% THD+N. If those numbers mean nothing to you well it just means that the MR2 measures extremely well.
Did I mention the Moonriver 2 also has up to 4Vrms which is frankly quite insane for a dongle DAC? Priced at $189.99, the Moondrop Moonriver 2 promises some crazy performance and portable audio quality.
Stay tuned for our full Moondrop Moonriver 2 review coming soon but in the meantime, head over to the product page on Apos Audio for more details or just to order right now. Remember that purchases from Apos Audio include free priority shipping, an extended 2-year warranty and a 45-day return policy.
- Dual Cirrus Logic CS43198 DAC chips
- Two dual-op amp chips
- 4Vrms of output power
- 131dB DNR
- 116dB SNR
- 0.0001% THD+N
- Dual headphone outputs support 3.5mm and 4.4mm balanced
- USB Type-C
- Lightweight aluminum alloy body
- DAC chip: CS43198 x2
- Amp chip: Dual-op amp chip x2
- Maximum supported playback: 32-bit/384kHz, DSD256
- Outputs: 3.5mm single-ended, 4.4mm balanced
- Frequency range: 6Hz – 85kHz (±1dB)
- USB interface: USB Type-C
- Background noise
- 4.4mm: 1.5uV
- 3.5mm: 1.2uV
- 4.4mm: 4Vrms 0.00013% @300Ω
- 3.5mm: 2Vrms 0.0008% @32Ω
- 4.4mm: 131dB
- 3.5mm: 123dB
- Firmware upgrade: supported
- Line out
- 4.4mm: 4Vrms (high), 2.8Vrms (low)
- 3.5mm: 2Vrms (high), 1.4Vrms (low)